Thursday, September 19, 2013

Refrigerator Oatmeal



Okay, I know the thought of Refrigerator Oatmeal probably conjures up images porridge or gruel, but just bear with me.

There are several recipes on the above website.  So far I have only tried the Apple Cinnamon one. 
Now I'll be honest here, it is a little weird to eat cold oatmeal.
But once you get past the texture and temperature, it's not so bad.
I tried it because I was looking for a quickly prepared breakfast, since I have to be at work at 6:30 in the morning.  It worked out pretty well for that.

The taste could have used a little improvement:  the yogurt was a bit overpowering.  Next time I will use more honey.  I also left out the chia seeds (don't even know what that is).  Other than that, not bad.  I give it 7 out of 10.

Here is the recipe that I used:

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon honey, optional (or substitute any preferred sweetener)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar


Directions
In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add applesauce and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment